Sunday, 15 December 2013

Coprophagous fox

I've had the camera trap back out at the bottom of the garden for the last few nights. It's picked up at least one, and possibly two or more, Red Foxes.

This one decided to have a big poo in centre stage, and then turned around and ate it:

video




I haven't heard of coprophagy in foxes before (but then I'm no fox expert), especially not a hot meal that they've just produced! But I suppose it makes sense - carnivore digestive tracts are quite inefficient, and so putting something through the system a second time can maximise the energy intake.

The next night was much wetter, and the doings much more brief:

video



1 comment:

  1. Wish the bloody foxes in my garden would eat their shit, rather than just leaving it everywhere. Ho hum. Trust all is well with you Mr B

    ReplyDelete